Pages

About these pictures



I am an avid collector of intriguing old things including postcards, newspapers, photographs, advertising cards, souveniers, etc. All of the pictures in this blog are from my private collection. If you wish to enlarge any picture, simply click on it.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Not Your Average Carte-de-Visites

Thought I'd post a few of the beautiful carte-de-visites I've collected over the years. It never ceases to amaze me how miserable some of the people can look in the studio photos. Take a look at the first two beauties and tell me they weren't forced in there at gunpoint!


"Has anybody seen my glasses?


I believe this one must have just finished a jar of particularly sour gherkins.

To make this a more pleasant experience, the next one is just plain cute and should bring a smile to your face. Enjoy what is left of the weekend! Gotta go!

5 comments:

  1. The first two are great, but that last one is a real hoot! I have a peculiar vintage postcard with a similar scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least the first one seems somehow consistent. The second one looks harsh except for those confounding ringlets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute pictures, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love the old girl, where did you find her. You know that it was not unheard of for women to have their teeth removed for a wedding present as it help to stop bad breath and prevented a lot of suffering when they were older and the teeth began to rot.

    You are so right about the lack of smiles, I know that it took times for the exposure, but being still cannot be the reason for the uncontrolled mirth that they are inclined to, perhaps they were afraid that their souls may be captured.

    ReplyDelete